Friday, October 15, 2010


On the day my father was killed by a drunk driver, my perfect little world was shattered. It hadn't been that long before that I had thought how blessed our family was because we had not had a major life altering occurence like some families had experienced. But then, November 10, 2008...our major, life altering occurence happened. My father was struck and instantly killed by a drunk driver at 1:30 in the afternoon. My father was standing on the side of the road waiting for a car to pass by before getting back into his vehicle. Unfortunately, this car didn't just pass by... During my father's "standing room only" memorial service, I described our family as a "caterpillar that becomes a butterfly...we wrap ourselves in a chrysalis to surround us and protect us. We wil grieve in our protective shell, struggle to be set free and one day our wings of peace and love will set us free and we will fly again."
It seems for me that I am on that journey... seeking that peace in my heart. I am still seeking...but I have taken one "wing" out and trying to find my footing. Since that day, it has been difficult to find my place...my footing, however, about a month ago, when planning to walk in the "Walk Like MADD" (walk-a-thon), I began to clearly see my "footing". I feel I have been called to do something important with my life and help to spread the word to STOP DRUNK DRIVING. So now, as my other wing struggles to be free of the chrysalis, I have many projects that I am working to produce. I am creating Public Service Announcements about Drunk Driving. I will be looking for as many places as possible to have these aired. I have several different ideas and slowly but surely my little camera and I will produce meaningful and thought provoking PSA's with the intent to at the very least make someone STOP and THINK before they DRINK and DRIVE.
I am currently looking for other people who have been affected by a drunk driver. If you or someone you know would be interested in being "a face" or "a voice" for my video, please contact me at KaraSSpots@aol.com
I hope to have my first PSA completed by the first week of November.
Kara Rainer Gorham

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bless you Kara. I cannot add words to what you have said, only my heart. It is only a half now, but it is yours and your sisters. I love you so much ..... You are doing a wonderful service. I am full of sadness for I heard of a friend's son killed by a drunk driver yesterday, also at 1:30 in the afternoon. He was 30, playing with a bad with all of life ahead of him, until this senseless, selfish drunk decided to drive....
the car crossed the median on I-35 I think, and killed both of the innocent young men!
Is there anyone listening?
Momma

Anonymous said...

It is now 27 months since the love of my life was ripped from my arms. It is not better. It is not easier. It is not different. It is harsh, cruel and empty, just as it was on my birthday November 10, 2008, almost three years ago. It is not better!
Tonight I sit at home, having moved on in my education, pursuing what Horton always wanted me to do. I am consoled with that. But I am NOT happy that he cannot share that with me, that I cannot share this with him!! That was taken away from us, stolen from us. It was snatched from us at 1:30 in the afternoon on a Monday, by a person having almost 3 times the limit of alcohol. On a sunny, beautiful fall afternoon in November, when no one would have suspected such a tragedy to overtake us.
In simple words, I have never been the same. I don't think I ever will again be the same person I was who was loved so completely by Horton!..... That is a love few know, yet I did-- until a heartless, unthinking person took him away before his time!
Oh, Honey, how I miss you, How I think of you, How I yearn for your simple touch... just the touch of your hand on mine right now would make my life complete...........
I love you forever, Sandy

Anonymous said...

December 4th,2011, 3 years, 23 days, 23 hours since you were brutally taken. I re-read my last comment, and most of it still applies, yet now, as Kara so beautifully said, I feel at least one wing falling from the chrysallis, at least some part of me is no longer struggling, only allowing. I know now that your love was not taken from me, that you still beautifully, and completely love me as you always did....and that has made all the difference. My life feels empty without you, alien, foreign, and I know it will never be as it was. Yet, Honey our precious family is together, how they love one another, and me! What a precious blessing it is to see them grow in love, expand their lives, and also remember you. I am forever thankful for their presence, their love, and the love of us as a family, the family 'we' loved into being from the first moment we expressed our forever love.
I love you Honey, as ever, more than ever, forever, Sandy