Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Horton Rainey Bunch


Horton Rainey Bunch was born on September 15, 1934 at 3:45pm. He was born to John Knox Bunch Sr. and Evelyn Anne Bunch in Houston, Texas. I recently came across his baby book and in it his father wrote the following: "Horton called Louis, "Louisy" - called me "my daddy" - Did not like "goaches". Liked Charlie Koffey (McCarthy the Dummy). Very fond of "bills" (grapes). Occasionally had a knee on his trunk. Practically lived on fruits, fruit juices and milk from 12mos to 3 yrs.
Horton would say "Watch "my" do it" (at 2 1/2 yrs).
Horton was very fond of books - sit for an hour and look at a book or magazine.
Jan 17, 1942 - "My family is the sweetest and finest in the world" - I just live to be with them" (written by John Knox Bunch, Sr.)
I cracked up over the "goaches" part! For those of you reading this that cannot not translate that - it means roaches. Our family knew of my dad's aversion to roaches and he passed that dislike on to his daughters..no,let me rephrase that..dislike is not a strong enough word. We are just flat terrified of them!! He would clear the room faster than any of us if one dared enter. :) kara PS Not sure what the "knee on the trunk" referred to..

4 comments:

Sandy said...

However, Kara has been known to knock down her Dad trying to get out of a room when a roach entered, and her husband Michael, all while pregnant!! She learned from her Daddy very well :-)..... Thank you Kara for this site, and especially "our song".... and "our tree." I am so blessed by my family, xoxoxoxMomma/Memexoxoxoxox

Sandy said...

To those of you who didn't know Horton's Dad this is a very, very telling and intimate part of his life. He was "old school"....conservative, business like, a deeply honest and real gentleman. He had his weaknesses (Lord Knows!! for he was a Georgia cracker)..........but he was Good.... it is where Horton received his deep devotion to family and honor. To read a note by him that is so personal is a real gift. Dad was the first one to welcome me into the family...when I was so afraid I would not be accepted. He ran out of Knox's house, slamming the back screen door, and grabbed me up into a huge hug before I even knew what had happened!!!! I loved Dad, I didn't agree with him on many things, but I deeply loved him.

Sandy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I love reading these remembrances of Honey and his family. Goaches!!! Ha! He was a wonderful strong man full of goodness, yet extremely terrified of roaches!! It is revelatory to read that as a boy he hated them...as Kara said, he passed that on to the entire family! It became one of the funniest memories for most of us!!
There are so many memories...all wonderful and good. On nights like this I miss him so much........I look about the house for memories, for something that will bring him close to me once again. It is quiet, dark, and lonely tonight. I miss you my Honey, my love. You are the part of me that was the best! ... you are my love, the part of me that flourished in your love...........you opened me up to the world...truly. You showed me everything. I'm sure our girls don't realize how much you showed me, taught me, how you opened me up to be the person I am today. You taught me everything. You loved me...you LOVED ME!! of all people!!.....I miss YOU so much.
oh I'm sorry to say so much tonight ... it just seems necessary. Sandy